Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

News

The Sports Page

Men’s Soccer

Gavin Jennings ’16 helped his father, Andy Jennings, win his 200th game as Vassar’s soccer coach, assisting on the second goal in a 2-0 victory over SUNY Maritime on Aug. 29 at Gordon Field. Andy has had three coaching stints with the Brewers — the first from 1981 to 1985, the next from 1989 to 1996, and finally, from 2004 to the present.

Nick Hess '15

Gavin’s assist came on a perfect cross from the left corner to Justin Mitchell ’15 midway through the second half. Andre Cousineau ’15 opened the scoring with a header on a cross from Reid Smith ’18 about two minutes before halftime. Gavin said he didn’t think immediately about his father’s milestone when he assisted on Mitchell’s goal, “but it was nice to be able to contribute to something like this.”

After Friday’s victory, the team presented Jennings with a soccer ball signed by all of the players. Jennings said he was touched by the tribute but added, “The players know I’m really not into making a big fuss about things like that.” The coach said he didn’t remember much about his first victory but did recall that the 1981 team won its first seven or eight games of the season. “I remember thinking at the time, ‘Hey, this coaching thing is easy,’” he joked. Then, he added, “The wins are nice, of course, but my true pleasure comes from getting to know the players. They’re all fine young men, and many of them go on to become successful doctors or lawyers or leaders in the business community. And now, I have two of my kids on the team (Gavin and his brother, Stephen ’17), and what could be better than that?”

Co-captain Zach Nasipak ’15, who presented the signed ball to Jennings along with fellow co-captain Tom Weichert ’15 and Mitchell, said he was “proud to be a part of this program. Andy is by far the most intelligent coach I’ve ever played under. His understanding of the game is amazing and there is always a lot to learn from him. I’m glad I was able to be out on the field helping Andy achieve this monumental and well-deserved moment in his career.”

On Aug. 31, goalkeeper Adam Warner ’17 had four saves as Vassar and Mount Saint Mary College battled to a 0-0 draw on Mount Saint Mary’s campus in Newburgh, N.Y. The Brewers pressed the action early with five shots and four corner kicks in the first half.

Women’s Soccer

Lily Lanier '15

Chloe Wheeler ’15 scored the only goal of the game midway through the second half as Vassar defeated Mount Saint Mary College, 1-0, on Aug. 29 at Gordon Field. Goalkeeper Emma Nichols ’16 made four saves.

Men’s Cross Country

Eliot Gerson ’15 and Andrew Terenzi ’15 were Vassar’s top two finishers at the Marist Invitational meet on Aug. 30 in Poughkeepsie. Gerson covered the six-kilometer course in 20:45.86 to finish 25th overall. Terenzi was 26th, with a time of 20:50.88.

Women’s Cross Country

Newcomer Meghan Willcoxon ’18 was Vassar’s top finisher on Aug. 30 at the Marist Invitational in Poughkeepsie. Lucy Balcezak ’17 was the Brewers’ second-fastest runner, followed closely by Maddy Pieper ’18.

Women’s Field Hockey

Hillary McDonnell '15

Lauren Wiebe ’16 netted two second-half goals to lead the Brewers to a 4-1 victory over Colby-Sawyer College on Aug. 29 at the Weinberg Turf Field. Emma Bracken ’17 opened the scoring with a goal at 9:36 in the first half, and Hayley Beach ’17 added another on a pass from Storm Sideleau ’18.

Posted by Office of Communications Monday, September 1, 2014