Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

News

Vassar Adopts Robust New Career Networking Platform

Vassar has partnered with Alumnifire (vassar.alumnifire.com), a powerful new platform designed to strengthen college and university networks by empowering alumnae/i and students to find each other more easily.

Alumnifire offers recent grads, young professionals, and those considering career transitions access to a wealth of career advice from seasoned, well-connected Vassar alumnae/i in a wide variety of industries; mentorship and networking opportunities; access to internships and jobs posted by Vassar alumnae/i, and even the ability to investigate leads at specific companies and organizations where alumnae/i work.

Alumnifire is not designed to replace the Alumnae/i Directory or LinkedIn as a career-networking tool, but rather to complement those resources. Best of all, say members of the Career Development Office, it’s completely free.

Andrew Margie and Trip Tate, graduates of Connecticut College and Princeton University respectively, developed the new networking platform in winter 2014. Vassar is one of the first schools to join the Alumnifire platform. The platform also serves alumni communities at Connecticut College, Princeton, Notre Dame and the University of Pennsylvania.

“It’s an incredibly simple, intuitive and powerful tool with tremendous potential, and we're excited to be getting in on the ground floor,” says Stacy Bingham, director of Vassar’s Office of Career Development.

For those interested in mentoring others and sharing professional advice, the platform allows users to customize the parameters around which contacts can be made. Whether offering general career advice and resume reviews, job and internship leads, shadowing opportunities, or informational interviews, alumnae/i can customize what they wish to offer and also manage the level of outreach they're willing to accept—for example, four contacts per month.

Alumnifire also offers guided contact so that students and alumnae/i are presenting their best face and learning about how to appropriately ask for what they need in concise and professional ways. Alumnifire also can be linked to social media and networking platforms such as LinkedIn and Facebook for information synching and single-source login, resulting in even greater ease of use.

“Alumnifire has the potential to quickly meet a growing number of needs,” says Bingham. ”It’s a very powerful tool for students and alumnae/i alike.”

Visit vassar.Alumnifire.com to sign up and start networking today. And tell your Vassar friends!

Posted by Office of Communications Thursday, June 5, 2014