Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

News

A Day at Vassar’s Third Year

Lectures, tours, art, and music kept hundreds entertained during the third annual A Day at Vassar.

The October 12 event featured classes on a multitude of topics—from “The Cathedral of Notre Dame” by art professor Andrew Tallon to “Incredible India” by Professor Emeritus of Political Science Glenn Johnson to “Chemical Warfare in Our Backyard,” a session on pesticides by biology professor Kate Susman.

“I get a chance to feel a different kind of crowd, to have the chance to view a different set of minds,” Tallon says, noting the mix of community members, alumnae/i, and parents. Tallon was one of 34 faculty members who volunteered to teach during the program.

The packed Taylor Hall Lecture Room was a testament to interest in Tallon’s presentation, which featured newly produced images of Notre Dame—including some behind-the-scenes views. “When one has the chance to give a lecture like this, it’s always more fun to give them something hot off the griddle,” he says.

Along with the lectures, more than 675 Hudson Valley neighbors—including 165 alumnae/i—ventured outdoors in beautiful weather for campus tours with Vassar historian Colton Johnson and former Director of Horticulture Jeff Horst; listened to a faculty concert; and perused the exhibitions at the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, James W. Palmer III Gallery, and Thompson Library.

Stay tuned. Plans are already in motion for next year’s fourth annual A Day at Vassar, the largest standalone community program offered by the college. 

Photos by Keith Farris

Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, November 6, 2013