Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

News

Anne Hathaway ’04 Wins Golden Globe

Actress Anne Hathaway ’04 earned a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of “Fantine” in the movie Les Misérables during the 70th presentation of the awards on Sunday, January 13. The critically acclaimed movie version of the long-running Broadway play won in the category of Best Musical or Comedy, and Hathaway’s co-star, Hugh Jackman (“Jean Valjean”), took home a Best Actor award.

Holding up her Golden Globe statuette during her acceptance speech, Hathaway cleverly thanked the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for “this lovely blunt object that I will ever more use as a weapon against self-doubt.” 

Many moviegoers were surprised by Hathaway’s powerful singing voice and raw, emotional delivery in Les Miz, though the actress started taking voice lessons at the age of 12 and, as recently as October 2012, performed tunes from Cabaret at Joe’s Pub in Greenwich Village. New York Times movie critic Manohla Dargis wrote that, at the end of the first act, “Anne Hathaway opens her mouth, and the agony, passion, and violence that have decorously idled in the background of this all-singing, all-suffering pop opera pour out. It’s a gusher!”

The songs from Les Misérables were sung live, rather than lip-synced to a soundtrack—an approach that would have proved daunting to many—but Hathaway has said she found it liberating. “There seems, to me, to be something selfish about trying to go for the pretty version of it,” she told Entertainmentwise.com, “so I just sort of decided to apply the truth to the melody and see what would happen. I think it had a very freeing effect on us all.”

Hathaway has another award ceremony to look forward to—the Academy Awards to take place at the end of February. She’s earned an Oscar nomination in the category of Best Supporting Actress for the same role, and critics contend that the Globe win puts her one step closer to clinching that award, too.

--Elizabeth Randolph

Photo by Steve Granitz, Getty Images