College Search 101 for Vassar Families
The seventeenth annual Vassar College College Search 101 for Vassar Families (formerly "Sons and Daughters Program") will be held in November 2017. Participants will have a choice of one of two sessions presented over two days, Sunday and Monday:
Session 1: November 5 & 6
Session 2: November 12 & 13
Offered by the Office of Alumnae/i Affairs and Development in association with the Office of Admissions, our College Search 101 program is designed to familiarize Vassar alum parents and their high school juniors with the college admission process and provides valuable, general information to your family as the college search process begins.
Here are some of the program highlights registered participants may expect over the two-day session:
- Meet with Vassar College admissions professionals who will share advice about what to look for in a college, and where to start.
- Take a typical admissions tour of Vassar campus with an eye toward what to look for when visiting other colleges.
- To have a better understanding of the complexities of the process, guests will serve on a mock admissions committee.
- Attend valuable information sessions on financial aid and college athletics.
- High school juniors will meet with current Vassar students for an open discussion about college life.
- On Monday morning, high school juniors will be able to sit in on a Vassar College course in session.
Due to space limitations and our desire to accommodate the most appropriate audience, only an alumna/us parent or legal guardian with a student who will be a high school junior in the fall of 2017 may register. Participation in program activities is limited to the alumna/us, their high school junior and one additional adult guest.
This program is a seminar on the general college search process, and is designed specifically for high school juniors. It is not about admission to Vassar. The program is neither a feeder program for Vassar, nor does participation in this program influence the admission process at the college.
To help you plan your travel and schedule, check-in on Sunday begins at 10:30am with welcoming remarks at 11:15am. The program includes lunch at the dining center and runs until 6pm when we break for the day. Dinner will be on your own (a list of local restaurants will be provided prior to your arrival). On Monday morning, beginning at 8:30am, students will attend classes while parents meet in sessions as a group with staff from admissions and financial aid. There will also be a session for staff, parents, and student athletes prior to concluding the official program at 1pm.
NOTE: An email invitation with information about the program and registration was recently sent to all members of the classes from 1975 to 2005 for whom we have a valid email on file. You may confirm your contact information in the Vassar online community. If you are a member of a class outside the specified range, or would like more information on the program, please email David Ringwood in the office of Alumnae/i Affairs.