News & Features

Vassar International Photo Contest

When you put out a call for submissions for an international photo contest, you might not expect to see images of a levitating Polish woman or an abandoned pair of shoes with a note to its new owner, but it’s shots like these that caught the attention of judges in this year’s International Photo Contest, an annual competition that aims to explore the cross-cultural perspectives of Vassar students.

The annual contest is open to all students—American JYAers, international students, and other members of the Vassar community who have traveled abroad. The idea is to submit photographs of places, people, and cultures they have encountered along the way. The competition is organized by Vassar’s Office of International Services in cooperation with the Vassar International Students Association (VISA).

This fall, there were 179 submissions in total. Winners were chosen during the Kaleidoscope international food festival, the largest and most popular event organized by the Office of International Services each year.

And the winners in three categories were …

People and Culture

Some Kind of Wonderful - Keur Ali Gueye, Senegal. Senegalese girl prepares for lunch. By Christie Chea ’13Magic on the Streets - Kraków, Poland. This shows the kind of entertainment seen on the streets of Poland. This girl, in particular, attracted a lot of attention because no one could figure out how she was floating. By Victoria M. Bachurska ’16Paozhuzhai @ 7:00  - Paozhuzhai, China. By Fan Tianyi ’16

Landscape

Top of the World - Tajumulco, Guatemala. On top of Tajumulco, the highest point in Central America. By Anna Been ’14Travelling Shoes - Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom. Walking through Edinburgh at the end of a summer of travel, I happened upon this pair of shoes on a bus stop bench. I like to think that another traveler picked them up and that the shoes are now treading their way through some new corner of the world. By Margaret Ginoza ’16Longcunba @ 16:00 - Longcunba, China. By Fan Tianyi ’16

People’s Choice Award

The Light at the End of the Corridor - Domov Svätej Alžbety, Poprad, Slovensko. The goal was to walk to the end of the corridor. By herself. And then turn around. I guess she didn't hear that last part. By Noelle Phansalkar-Michalik ’16Lookout - Amantani Island, Lake Titicaca, Peru. The view from the hillside home of natives of Lake Titicaca. By Paige Abramowitz ’16K.I.D.S. - Masai Mara, Kenya, Africa. Kids in a primary school. By Cecilia Graña-Rosa ’15

Posted by Office of Communications Monday, January 7, 2013