Alumnae and Alumni of Vassar College (AAVC)
Board of Directors
The AAVC Board of Directors is a group of dedicated volunteers that serves the college and its 39,000 alumnae/i at the highest level. The Board manages the affairs of the AAVC, working closely with the college's Associate Vice President for Alumnae/i Engagement and Executive Director of the AAVC, and meets regularly on campus in October, February, and in June at Reunion. Most of the Board’s work, however, is accomplished by hard-working ad hoc and standing committees comprised of directors, volunteers, observers, and staff liaisons.
Current standing committees are devoted to these AAVC priorities: Alumnae House, Alumnae/i Recognition, Career Networking, Clubs and Regional Networks, Communications, Nominations, and the Vassar Fund Council. The Board regularly examines AAVC programming and policy to ensure that the AAVC meets the varied needs of its diverse, worldwide constituents and advances the interests and mission of Vassar in relevant and substantive ways. Six AAVC directors also serve as Vassar College trustees. Additionally, observers from the AAAVC and the college student body attend the AAVC board and committee meetings.
The Board recently revisited its bylaws as well as the roles and duties of its directors and officers. Nominations to the Board are sought throughout the year with elections occurring in June, at Reunion. The Board encourages nominations of individuals who have strong track records of service to the college as well as high levels of professional achievement, and who reflect the diverse backgrounds of our 39,000 constituents.
- AAVC President and AAVC TrusteeMilbrey “Missie” Rennie Taylor ’68, New YorkTerm of Service: 2014–2018
- Vice President for OperationsStephen Hankins ’85, P’13 ’17, California Term of Service: 2016–2020
- Vice President for Strategic PlanningDeborah Macfarlan Enright ’82, Tennessee Term of Service: 2016–2020
- AAVC Trustee and Career Networking Committee MemberDarys Mordan Estrella ’92, Dominican Republic Term of Service: 2013–2017
- AAVC Trustee and Career Networking Committee MemberKen Miles ’07, New York Term of Service: 2013–2017
- AAVC Trustee and Communications Advisory Committee MemberTanya M. Odom ’92, New York Term of Service: 2016–2020
- AAVC Trustee and Career Networking Committee MemberEve Slater ’67, New Jersey Term of Service: 2015–2019
- AAVC Trustee and Career Networking Committee ChairKaren Strain Smythe ’82, New York Term of Service: 2015–2019
- Alumnae House Committee Chair and Career Networking Committee MemberDonna M. Parisi ’89, New York Term of Service: 2016–2020
- Alumnae/i Recognition Committee Chair and Career Networking Committee MemberSharon Davidson Chang ’84, P’19, New York Term of Service: 2016–2019
- Clubs and Regional Networks Committee Chair, Nominating Committee Member, and Vassar Fund Council MemberBrian Farkas ’10, New York Term of Service: 2014–2017
- Communications Advisory Committee ChairMatthew Brelis ’80, P ’14, Massachusetts Term of Service: 2013–2017
- Communications Advisory Committee Vice-ChairLisa Denby ’87, New York Term of Service: 2016–2017
- Vassar Fund Council Chair and Clubs and Regional Networks Committee MemberBrian D. Tormey ’02, New York Term of Service: 2016–2019
- Nominating Committee Chair and Alumnae/i Recognition Committee MemberMonica Vachher ’77, Pennsylvania Term of Service: 2016–2020
- Nominating Committee Member and Alumnae/i Recognition Committee MemberSara Moody Allen ’64, Pennsylvania Term of Service: 2016–2020
- Nominating Committee Member and Alumnae House Committee MemberRoger Gibian '90, New York Term of Service: 2015–2018
- Nominating Committee Member and Clubs and Regional Networks Committee MemberVivek Mahapatra ’05, California Term of Service: 2016–2018
- Nominating Committee Member and Clubs and Regional Networks Committee MemberNatalie W. Nixon, PhD ’91, Pennsylvania Term of Service: 2016–2020
- Nominating Committee Member and Vassar Fund Council MemberChristina Peltier ’10, Massachusetts Term of Service: 2015–2018
Founded in 1871 and governed by an independent board of directors, the Alumnae and Alumni of Vassar College (AAVC) is a not-for-profit organization. Its mission is to lead the more than 39,000 Vassar alumnae/i in connecting with each other and with our college. We celebrate the shared Vassar experiences that bring us together, and we strive to make a difference for our college and for each other.
AAVC connects the more than 39,000 Vassar alumnae/i worldwide with each other and the college through classes, clubs, and affiliate groups; reunions, mini-reunions, awards, and travel programs; online and print publications; and regional, on-campus, and young alumnae/i events.
The official publication of AAVC, Vassar, the Alumnae/i Quarterly, is distributed to alumnae/i, faculty, and administrators. Issues are published in fall, winter, and spring/summer.
AAVC manages and operates Alumnae House as a welcoming on-campus home for alumnae/i. The House was given to the college by two alumnae in 1924. Its Tudor-style architecture and gracious atmosphere make it a pleasant gathering place for alumnae/i, faculty, students, administrators, staff, and visitors to the campus.
The AAVC executive director manages the affairs of the association in accordance with its bylaws determined by the board of directors. The association takes its direction from the more than 38,000-member constituency whose volunteer leadership, perspective, and energy help guide and support the college. Once their class graduates, all matriculated students of the college are considered members of AAVC with voting privileges. AAVC does not charge membership dues.